Last weekend was Carbondale’s Annual Fashion Show, Green is the New Black Fashion Extravaganza. This was our first year being in the fashion show. Each year it’s inspiring seeing the designer’s new looks and performances. this show isn’t just entertaining– it is about raising money to educate our youth in the Roaring Fork Valley. Thank you Riley Ames Photography for the amazing photography!
Travel and fashion have something huge in common: they are both addicting. Combining the two is one of the more gratifying ways to tap into a creative outlet. As tempting as it might be to throw on a pair of chucks and your favorite old sweatpants, there are ways to elevate your comfortable wardrobe and add a touch of chic to it. The key here is finding your style inspiration & executing it in a way that makes you feel comfortable, stylish and confident. Depending on where you are going, you could be on a plane for anywhere from 1 hour to 8 hours and you’ll want to be ready for whatever adventure comes your way as soon as you step foot to your destination!
This is your chance to shed off your normal day to day facade and push the limits on things you normally might not wear. When deciding what to wear for my adventure, I wanted an outfit that would be ready for anything. I paired my favorite Topshop jeans with a flowy Topshop crop top (say that 5 times fast) and a classic leather jacket. This outfit is great for just about everything. It’s comfortable, edgy and has just the right about of sex appeal.
Okay, I’ll admit it- My name is Shellay… and I am an over packer. Guilty! Options are a girl’s best friend. Because of this, I like wearing my staple pieces on the plane so I can mix and match super quickly when I get off. I chose a pair of black boots that zip on the side so getting through security will be a breeze, but would also go with about 90% of the other items I packed. They are heeled, so you can dress them up or down. Swap out the black jeans for a pair of high rise jean shorts with flip flops and you’re beach ready in seconds! It’s important to be mindful of potential climate changes, as well as the deathly air conditioning that turns you into an icicle after takeoff.
– Wear your “staple” items so you can easily transform your outfit for any occasion
– Layer up! If you are leaving a cold climate for a warm one, you’ll want to be fully prepared for any climate and either bundle up or shed down
– Booties or shoes that are easy to take on an off, making your life so much easier at the dreaded airport security
– Accessorize, but not too much. Keep it simple so there’s one less thing to get in the way while juggling your bags, phone, passport and whatever else
Leather Jacket: Zara (Similar Here) / Crop top: Topshop / High rise jeans: Topshop / Booties: Biala ‘Keiran’ Lace Up Boot (Nordstrom) (Similar Here) / Necklace: Colby June Silver ‘Raven’ Necklace / Bracelet: Colby June Raw cuff
- The pictures on Humming Bird High will make you want to bake all of her recipes!
- Looking for your next adventure, then Tuula is your spot.
- In need of a little home make over? Check out Lindsay Marcella
- Oncewed is your go to for all your wedding needs.
- For a little advice and everything pretty and nice, Advice from a Twenty Something.
A beach bag at the beginning of a trip and the end of a trip are two completely different things. You start out with all of your essentials neatly organized and by the end of the trip your magazine is in two pieces and there is more sand and loss change at the bottom of your bag than you know what to do with. With the hopes that maybe this trip things will remain organized here are my beach bag musts haves.
- The first thing I make sure I put in my beach bag is a cover up, this one by Vitamin A is my favorite. It does the trick and it’s a rashguard. (similar one here)
- Followed closely by sunnies. For some reason I have the hardest time remembering to pack them, but are absolutely a beach essential.
- A long necklace is a beach vacation necessity. It’s the perfect accessory for your flowy dresses day or night.
- I never forget all of my lip protection and lip color. I don’t think you can ever have too much because at some point you’re going to misplace at least one. ( Olio e Osso lipstick, Sugar lipstick, Honey Boutique chapstick)
- I always have to carry some kind of clip and sun spray for my hair. It’s longer and after the ocean it’s a mess.
- I can’t travel anywhere without a Bon Appétit and this trip I will be on the beach relaxing which means I actually get to read all of the articles.
- Being hangry is a real thing and for that my cure is Justin’s. It’s my go to.
- Jao Face Créme is my saving grace. That is all I need to say.
How wonderful to leave our small mountain town and roam the streets of New York City. We walked the High Line, visited the Whitney, enjoyed dinner with my cousin and her husband on their first wedding anniversary, and managed to get some work done too. I was able to absorb some of the creative energy and pulse of the city to bring back to Colorado as I began work on a new collection.