By Shellay Glatz
Valentine’s Day is always a fun time of year to play around with styles you might not normally wear, and it’s the one occasion where we get to shamelessly push our style a little further than usual in the name of romance. Whether it’s an obviously sexier look or something more casual, here are some ideas and tips for a range of Valentine’s Day date looks that you will feel your best in and have fun wearing on any date.
The Dressed Up Fancy Date
I’ll start with the most dressed up of all options. This would be great for going to a fancy dinner, a fun mysterious night out on the town, touring a brewery/winery, or even just because. The key here is to not be afraid of being the most over-dressed person wherever you go. Own your choice in the bold outfit and walk into the room with all of the confidence in the world. Nothing is more sexy than confidence.
For a dressed up Valentine’s Day date, I chose a white sequin dress styled for a sexy “old school Hollywood” effect.
To achieve this look, I paired this fabulous dress with nude heels to ensure the focus didn’t stray from the dress and to show off my legs. In addition, a thin gold necklace and a pair of small studs or soft dangly earrings would be a great way to accessorize this outfit. Finally, to really bring home that sexy yet subtle “old-school Hollywood” effect, I added soft, romantic waves to my hair and MAC’s ‘Viva Glam’ matte lipstick in a dark, bold red.
- Be more adventurous with your style and wear something you normally wouldn’t wear.
- Wear nude heels to elongate your legs and draw more attention to other parts of your outfit.
- Add a few stacking rings and a couple thin bangles to tie everything together.
- Make a fancy dress a bit more casual by adding a cute leather coat on top.
- Glam it up and make bolder makeup choices.
- Moisturize your lips a day or two prior to rockin’ matte lipstick, as it tends to show every crack on your lips. You want to look as kissable as possible!
The Subtly Sexy Date
For the next date look, I went with a slightly dressed down outfit that focuses on the less obviously sexy features. This outfit would be great for a date involving cooking at home, checking out an art gallery, or grabbing a cocktail.
They key here is being subtle in your sexiness. This is a shirt with a shoulder “peek-a-boo” effect. It’s flowy, comfortable and falls more on the sweeter side of sexy. Paired with dark wash skinny jeans keeps it clean and nude suede heels add that sexy softness. Extend that softness to your makeup; a subtle gold eye shadow and lip gloss keeps it sweet and natural.
This is an outfit you can play with accessorizing a little more – try stacking rings, a delicate bracelet, and bolder dangly earrings. To highlight your décolleté and shoulders, often understated parts of the body with a lot of sex appeal, select a simple necklace that sits just under the collarbone to draw some attention to the area. This is a very versatile outfit that is good for a variety of dates and is ideal if you don’t know what you are going to do (surprise date!).
- Wear clothing that shows off your understated parts – your décolleté, shoulders, and back can be surprisingly sexy.
- Keep your makeup soft and natural, use neutral colors, a simple gloss, and gold for a little shimmer.
- Always have a pair of dark wash skinny jeans in your closet – they are a simple blank canvas that can easily be dressed up or down.
- Strategically choose your accessories to highlight certain areas of your body. Think about what will work best – short or long necklace, stacked or single rings, stud or dangling earrings.
- Focus on comfort and versatility dressed up with accessories to look your best for any unknown or surprise date situation.
The Casual Adventurous Date
My final date outfit is based on pure adventure. If you’re lucky enough to find someone who wants to spend the day with you on a motorcycle, explore the amazing outdoors, or take you to a bonfire; this is the outfit for you.
Typically, when people think casual they don’t think sexy, but here’s a way to catch an eye in a less obvious way that still keeps you ready for adventure. Start with a pair of distressed jeans with a tight black tank top (that would be the subtle sexy part). From there, begin to layer.
Layering keeps you warm in what can be a chilly February for some, but it always means you can shed your layers as the night progresses, an element that adds some Valentine’s Day steam to this outfit. I started with a soft sweater, black beanie, and some heeled boots that are extremely comfortable. If you’re going to be walking around somewhere all day/ night, you will want your feet to be happy too – nothing screams “mood killer” like aching feet!
For more layering, try large statement pieces, layer several long necklaces together, add a few bold rings, and play with earring styles. This is where you can dress the outfit up or down, so have fun customizing the perfect outfit for your adventure.
- Choose an outfit centered around comfort and versatility when planning for an adventurous date. Layer with style, functionality, warmth, and sex appeal all in mind.
- A tight fitting black top is a must have item for your closet. Mix it up and have various styles on hand.
- Layering with accessories creates a custom look, but it can easily be taken too far. Make sure to do final edits if needed before you head out the door.
- Choosing comfortable shoes doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice on style. Try a short heeled boot or bootie to satisfy both fashion and function.
My final advice to you is simple: try on things you normally wouldn’t pick out, go a little shorter than you normally would, and buy a bold/fun color of lipstick – today is your day, and you will own it! No matter what the date, your Valentine’s Day outfit choice should be something that makes you feel confident and absolutely beautiful. Confidence radiates out of you and is your #1 best accessory! Happy Valentine’s Day!